Frequently asked questions

Yes, definitely. We will suggest you complete a comprehensive training course on how to run a pub which includes your Personal Licence and Cellar Management.

We encourage all applicants to visit the pub they are interested in as a customer in the first instance. A full viewing will be arranged after that.

Amanda will arrange to meet up either at the pub you like or at our Head Office in Henley on Thames. At this meeting she will provide further information on the pub and introduce you to Brakspear. She will also ask a few questions about you and your background.

Make contact with Amanda, she is happy to meet and chat through working with Brakspear. She will help you to find the right pub for you.

The majority of the Brakspear estate are tenancies with some leases and a small number of managed houses.

It is not automatically renewed as the agreement is contracted out of the Landlord & Tenant Act 1954, however, we have renewed agreements with the majority of our tenants who wish to operate for a further term.

The majority are in the home counties, Oxfordshire, Berkshire and London as well as Brighton and the South coast.

Amanda will still progress your application and advise you about the Personal Licence, you will have to have taken and passed the course and ideally completed your CRB checks before becoming a tenant.

Our ideal situation is a full wet tie but you can decide to go free of tie on spirits and minerals for an annual fee. Amanda can supply the details.

Amanda will provide you with a full breakdown for the pub you are applying for but in essence the ingoings represent a security deposit, training contribution, a weeks rent in advance, the fixtures and fittings of the business, a weeks advance for the service charge, some working capital and an administration charge made by the local council to show you at the designated premises supervisor. With a tenancy there is no premium for the value of the business.

Yes, you can. We can sometimes offer a fixtures and fittings payback scheme for the right applicants.

A credit check is done just before an offer letter is issued, you will need to be upfront with us and explain the circumstances, as long as the issue has been settled we should be able to progress your application.

Yes you do. The template is available to download (see the Download button at the top of the page).

You should engage an independent valuer, Amanda will provide a list of preferred valuers, although if you already have one it’s fine to use them as long as they are fully accredited.

With a tenancy your income would be the net profit of your business. We will supply a shadow profit and loss account for the pub you are looking at which will give you an understanding of the income achievable.


Get in touch with Amanda

Whatever it is, big or small, our Recruitment Manager is here to help!